The grocery stores are ideal because they have everything you need under the same roof, their aisles are wide and there is even a quick checkout.
But since there are many choices, how do you distinguish good foods from less good ones ? The key is knowing what you are looking for in order to plan meals. There are various ways to choose the foods that offer the best nutritional value for you and your loved ones.
- Go first to the fruit and vegetable department. You will not be able to make a bad choice because they are all good for you.
- Always buy bread and pasta containing whole wheat or whole grain mixtures instead of bleached or fortified flour blends.
- Avoid soft drinks and replace them with water, milk, low-sugar juices and herbal teas.
- Choose low-fat salad dressings and condiments. These contain large amounts of sugar and additives harmful to health.
- Prefer cooking oils that are better for your health. Walnut, canola and olive oil can replace vegetable and fat oils.
- Avoid processed foods and meats that contain preservatives and a large amount of fat. Canned meats, spaghetti and ravioli contain a lot of salt, fat and additives that are harmful to your health.
- Resist pizzas and frozen meals as well as other frozen dishes.